Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Little Lessons

I have been attempting to write a blog entry for a week now. The words refuse to come and I am frustrated because my moods don't seem stable for long enough to figure out what I'm feeling. So instead, I am going to write what I DO know, and provide a list of the things that God has taught me over the past month.

  • Run because you can - and Jessie never will.
  • The hardest part of a daily spiritual walk is actually opening up the Bible.
  • Addictions, no matter how small, only serve to put you in chains.
  • The story had to happen the way it did.
  • Amazing things happen when you make yourself vulnerable.
  • If you know who is in control - there's no need to worry about anything.
I've also been reading a lot of the Bible lately. I am ashamed to say that until this month, I spent far more time reading theological texts and commentaries than I did reading the actual Bible. I will admit that I did not always enjoy reading the Bible - I think I complained a LOT while I read Isaiah (which gets better, by the way) and some of the books of the Bible I could gloss right over without ever reading again. But then there were those books, chapters, passages that jumped from the page and immediately nestled themselves in my heart for safe-keeping. I'd like to share those, too.

Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." --Isaiah 30:21

Stop doing wrong,
learn to do right.
Seek justice
encourage the oppressed
Defend the cause of the fatherless,
plead the case of the widow.
--Isaiah 1:16-17

For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to divide soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
--Hebrews 4:12

Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. --Galatians 5:24

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ. --Phillippians 3:20

My heart swells just thinking of them.

1 comment:

Hallie said...

you bring my heart joy.
i love you.